Bicarbonate of soda is also known as baking soda. It is pure sodium bicarbonate.
Using Bicarbonate of Soda
It is worth noting that bicarbonate of soda and baking powder are not interchangeable in recipes.
Bicabonate of soda needs to be mixed with dry ingredients before adding liquids because it reacts with water. This will ensure even leavening, the process by which dough and bread rise.
Bicarbonate of soda has many other amazing non culinary uses:
- Place an opened box in the fridge and it will absorb any food odours trapped there.
- Sprinkle some onto a carpet (including car carpets), leave it for 20 minutes then vacuum to lift odours.
- It's slightly abrasive so it's great for scrubbing down kitchen counters or other surfaces.
- Baking soda also works well to unclog a sink. Sprinkle a few teaspoons of baking soda down the drain and splash some white vinegar on top. It will fizz up and clean the pipes, often removing clogs at the same time.
- One tablespoon of baking soda with half a cup water makes an excellent exfoliator.
Bicarbonate of Soda
Ingredients: Bicarbonate of soda
For allergens see ingredients in bold.
Due to the way our food is transported, stored and packaged, this product may contain traces of other allergens due to cross-contamination.